Author's Interview with Don Firesmith.

First, before we move forward with our Author's Interview, I would like to start with an introduction. 

1. Could you please introduce yourself to us?
I'm Don Firesmith. After over 40 years as a system and software engineer and part-time author, I "retired" last week to become a full-time author. I write speculative fiction including science fiction, fantasy, and paranormal novels. I am a world traveler, having visited 36 countries and lived overseas twice in Germany and Switzerland. I've also visited India.
2. Congratulations on your book. So what inspired you to write this book?
My most recent book, The Secrets of Hawthorne House, won the 2019 Readers' Favorite Book silver medal, the 2019 ReadFree.ly Top 50 Indie Books third place, and the 2020 Pinnacle Book Prize in the Young Adult Fantasy category. It has been nominated for the 2020 Top Shelf Magazine book award. My Hell Holes series were written for adults, and I wanted to try something intended for the teen audience.
3. What is the book all about?
The Secrets of Hawthorne House is about the friendship of two 15-year-old boys from two different families: one normal and one that is anything but normal. It is a story of friendship, the clash of radically different cultures and religions, and how accepting people who are different can have magical consequences. 
4. Why did you choose this genre for your book?
I like all types of science fiction and fantasy. I wanted to write a story where character development was central. I also wanted to treat magic from two different viewpoints: one religious and one technological. 
5. How much time did it take to complete this book?
I started the book over a decade ago, but was stuck on how to finish it. I put it aside for many years and then came back to it once I had finished several other books. The wait was very beneficial because my writing had a chance to mature over the years. The book probably took about 3 years of effort.
6. What makes your Book Special?
The book is quite unique in that magic supports the story and characterization rather than drives the story. It is really about the people in the two families and how they come together despite their radically different backgrounds.
7. When is your second book coming?
Yes. Once I finish Hell Holes 3: To Hell and Back, I will write Secrets 2: The Secrets of Sanctuary Cove. I have worked out the characters and plot and written part of one chapter.
8. While writing did you get any writer's block? What is the Tip that you will give others who are facing a writer's block?
Yes. Put the book temporarily aside and work on another project for a while.
9. Apart from being a talented author, what are your other hobbies?
I make one-of-a-kind hand-crafted magic wands. I am naturally also an avid reader, both for pleasure and as research. For example, my second Hell Holes book was written from the first person, point of view of a female character. To prepare, I read about a dozen books written by female authors about strong female characters, which allowed me to write a book that several readers felt could have been written by a female author.
10. Last but not the least, How did you feel, while giving this interview?
It's always fun to answer different questions, and it gives me a chance to speak to my readers and let them know a little about me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author's Interview with Shivangi Sharma

Author's Interview by Kamal Niranjan.