Author's Interview with Chinaemelum Menakaya.


First, before we move forward with our Authors Interview, I would like to start with an introduction. 

1. Could you please introduce yourself to us?
Sure! My name is Chinaemelum Menakaya it is pronounced~ “Chi-nae-me-lum” “Me-na-ka-ya” My first name means “God has done it for me”. I’m Nigerian American, I was born in Texas and I grew up in Maryland to Nigerian parents. I currently live in Virginia where I work as a Professional Home Organizer and a writer.
2. Congratulations on your book. So what inspired you to write this book?
Thank you! My painful past inspired me to write this book. My childhood was not the best, I grew up in a home where I was not allowed to talk about my feelings. I kept my feelings and sadness inside. It eventually leads to some low points in my life. Writing has always felt like an escape for me as a child and till this very day. I decided to write about my life for some healing in my personal life. 
3. What is the book all about?
The books is about a young girl's life filled with emotional, verbal, and physical abuse by her father. At 5 years old chinaemelum is able to remember so many traumatic events in her life. It only gets worse when she goes to Nigeria for a summer holidays but she’s held there against her will for 2 years. She’s struggling to adapt to living in a 3rd would country, she fails to fit in properly. She dreams of escaping this nightmare that has became her reality. 
4. Why did you choose this genre for your book?
Because the book is based on a true story of my life. I knew it had to be a non-fiction and a memoir, I’ve been told I’m too young to be writing a memoir but it only proves I’ve been through so much in the short time frame of my life. 
5. How much time did it take to complete this book?
It took about 1 year and a half. 
6. What makes your Book Special?
It’s authentic and genuine, I wrote it with feelings. I put myself through each of the scenarios remembering each situation as if it happened yesterday. 
7. When is your second book coming?
December of 2020
8. While writing did you get any writer's block? What is the Tip that you will give others who are facing a writer's block?
I didn’t force writing. When I felt like writing, I did. When you feel like writing is when you can write with emotions. Meditating prior and having your self in a calm place before you write helps with writer's block.
9. Apart from being a talented author, what are your other hobbies?
I love putting together 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles! I love to play volleyball at the beach. 
10. Last but not the least, How did you feel, while giving this interview?
I feel good! I enjoyed answering your questions in regards to my book. The questions were honestly good questions! Thank you for taking some time to hear my story.;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author's Interview with Shivangi Sharma

Author's Interview by Kamal Niranjan.